Sod and the Environment
"Turfgrass sod in urban areas and communities can aid in the reduction of carbon dioxide emissions, mitigating the heat island effect, reducing energy consumption and contributing to efforts to reduce global warming trends."
Scientific research has documented the many benefits of turfgrass to our environment and general quality of life.
Our turfgrass lawns, parks and open areas:
- Provide a natural, comfortable, and safe setting for fun and games.
- Release oxygen and cool the air.
- Control pollution and reduce soil erosion.
- Purify and replenish our water supply.
Today's improved turfgrass varieties are very effective in reducing pollution.
- Turfgrass traps and removes dust and dirt from the air.
- 2,500 square feet of lawn absorb carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, and release enough oxygen for a family of four to breathe.
Nature's Air Conditioner
Another benefit that everyone enjoys, usually without notice, is turfgrass' tremendous cooling effect.
- On a hot summer day, lawns will be 30 degrees cooler than asphalt and 14 degrees cooler than bare soil.
- The front lawns of eight houses have the cooling effect of about 70 tons of air conditioning. That's amazing when the average home has an air conditioner with just a three or four ton capacity.
- The cooling effect of irrigated turf reduces the amount of fuel that must be burned to provide the electricity which powers the air conditioners.
- Watered when the grass plant needs it, turfgrass will very efficiently and effectively use almost every drop.
A Natural Filter
Runoff water in urban areas carries many pollutants.
The clean gentle strength of turfgrass is the most cost-effective method for controlling wind and water erosion.
- A healthy sodded lawn absorbs rainfall six times more effectively than a wheat field and four times better than a hay field.
- A sodded lawn will absorb greater amounts of rain than a seeded lawn; even after three years of growth.
Fun, Games, and Health
The soft resilient surface of turfgrass is the safest and least expensive place to play.
- For backyard ball games or the Super Bowl, athletes of all sizes prefer the green cushion of turfgrass.
- Turfgrass is the only place for putting, picnics or just plain relaxing.
- Our Mental Health
- Turfgrass quietly adds to the beauty of our lives and even our mental and physical health. Doctors have shown that people recover faster in a hospital when given a landscape view, rather than seeing only the walls of adjoining buildings.
... a continuing source of oxygen and cool air.
... a cleansing answer to our environment.
... a source of beauty and comfort.
With the benefits of turfgrass working their wonders for us, we will be able to share a beautiful and healthy planet with our future generations.